Monday, January 24, 2011

Invitations







I decided to try and replicate the Hogwarts acceptance letter for the invites. The text of the invitation reads:

HOGWARTS SCHOOL
of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY

Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore
(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorcerer, Chief Warlock,
Supreme Mugwump, International Confederation of Wizards)

Dear [Guest],

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry for a special mid-year session in honor of Head Boy Colwyn XXXX’s birthday. Please take the Hogwarts Express train (or an alternate Muggle mode of transportation) to the American campus, currently disguised as a Muggle home at [address]. There you will find the magical door visible only to Hogwarts students, friends and families. The password is Flibbertigibblet. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.

The session begins on Saturday, October 23rd, at 2:00pm. We await your owl by no later than October 16th. If you are unable to respond by owl, please reply via the Muggle telephone system at (###)###-####.

Yours sincerely,


Rachel XXXX
Deputy Headmistress of Frolic and Feasts, Hogwarts Academy


The second page reads:

HOGWARTS SCHOOL
of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY

UNIFORM

First-year students will require:
1. One set of plain work robes (black)
2. One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear
3. One winter jacket, any color

OTHER EQUIPMENT

1 wand
1 cauldron (black, standard size 2)

Please note that pupil’s supplies may be purchased at Hogwarts: The American Campus.

Students may also bring a stuffed owl OR a stuffed cat OR a stuffed toad.

PARENTS ARE REMINDED THAT FIRST YEARS ARE NOT ALLOWED THEIR OWN BROOMSTICKS


I used the font Hogwarts Wizard and downloaded the Hogwarts crest to put at the top of the page. I was planning on using parchment, but I'd have had to buy 250 sheets at Staples, so instead I bought some nice ivory stationary. I signed each letter with a gold pen. The envelopes I printed with the computer as well, using Hogwarts Wizard font in green ink. For invitations that I was going to hand deliver (for friends who were fans.. for the kids who weren't fans, I just mailed them), I used red wax and an H stamp to do a wax seal on the back. I wanted purple wax, but they didn't have any at Michael's. Then I glued some owl feathers to the front and back of the envelope. It took me about an hour to drop them all off, but the kids enjoyed pretending to be owls.

No comments:

Post a Comment